Academic Programs Abroad

Many graduate and professional students use study abroad programs as means of enhancing their foreign language and research skills. When considering study abroad, it is important for a student to consult with his/her committee chair early. Not all credits can be applied to a degree plan, so pre-trip planning and approval is very important.

Conducting Research Abroad

In some cases, graduate students are employed as part of a research project, and in others, they register for research hours at Texas A&M and go abroad independently. In all such cases, students should register their research experiences with the Study Abroad Programs Office to ensure emergency or other assistance while abroad.

Faculty-Led Programs

To find the most recent Texas A&M graduate or professional school course offerings abroad, visit the study abroad website. The Study Abroad Programs Office has a library that houses brochures on a variety of different opportunities abroad, including those for graduate students. The office is located on the first floor of the Pavilion.

Internships/Work Abroad Options

Reciprocal Educational Exchange Programs (REEPs)

These programs give students the opportunity to enroll and pay tuition at Texas A&M but “switch places” with counterparts at foreign institutions. A complete listing of current exchanges are listed below.

“Non-Degree” Status at a Foreign Institution

Many foreign universities will accept non-degree-seeking students to study for a semester or year. In some cases, your faculty advisor or academic department may have an existing collaboration with a foreign university. If you wish to enroll at a foreign institution without seeking a degree, write directly to the school or schools of choice, asking for admission as a non-degree student. You may be able to receive credit for some of your coursework; it will depend on whether Texas A&M, the department, and your graduate advisory committee will accept the credit you earn overseas as transfer credit into your Texas A&M degree.

Degrees from Foreign Universities

Occasionally, a student may wish to receive an advanced degree from an international university. Of particular interest to many is the opportunity to receive a master’s degree in 12 months from the British University system or the Erasmus Mundus program, the European Union “Fulbright” for graduate students. While the experience would certainly be worthwhile, the student should be aware that a terminal degree is usually most valuable in the country from which it was granted. If you decide to pursue a degree in a foreign university, investigate whether they accept foreign students into their degree programs, and how that degree will fit into your long-term academic or career plans. You would then follow the foreign university’s application guidelines. Generally, approximately a 12-month lead time is necessary.

Funding to Go Abroad

Federal and other financial aid may be adjusted to accommodate for extra costs associated with research or study abroad. Students interested in exploring funding options should discuss this with your academic department, Office of Graduate and Professional Studies, and Scholarships & Financial Aid for additional funding opportunities to go abroad.