Health Coaching for Chronic Disease Prevention and Management - Certificate
The Department of Health Promotion and Community Health Sciences offers a Health Coaching for Chronic Disease Prevention and Management Certificate.
The increasing need to prevent and treat chronic diseases through behavioral changes are creating new employment opportunities for those who have recognizable credentials (certification) in an increasingly recognized specialty (health coaching).
Health coaches are a new and vital part of our evolving health care system. They work independently or with primary care providers and employers to help clients, patients and employees achieve health care goals. The benefits to using a health coach are substantial: they tailor health promotion programs to the client; they help primary care providers more efficiently and effectively deliver care; and they help employers reduce health care costs and maintain a healthier workforce.
Our program is unique in several ways:
- It concentrates on the prevention and management of chronic disease — it is not an athletic training program.
- It provides graduate-level training on the etiology of common chronic diseases.
- It is based on a rigorous up-to-date review of diet and lifestyle research.
- It reviews current clinical guidelines for the prevention and treatment of common chronic diseases.
- It provides focused training in the techniques of motivational interviewing and other valuable behavior change techniques.
This program is also approved for delivery via asynchronous distance education technology.
To learn more about the program, go to School of Public Health Certificates.
For admissions information, please contact the School of Public Health Office of Student Affairs at SPH-OSA@tamu.edu or 979.436.9356.
|Code||Title||Semester Credit Hours|
|HPCH 603||Social and Behavioral Determinants of Health 1||3|
|or HPCH 604||or Social Ecology and Global Health|
|HPCH 607||Biological Basis of Health and Common Diseases 1||3|
|HPCH 640||Diet and Lifestyle Interventions for Obesity, Diabetes and Cardiovascular Disease 1||3|
|HPCH 641||Coaching Health Behavior Change 1||3|
|Total Semester Credit Hours||12|
Must make a grade of "A" or "B".