Financial Planning - BS
Financial planning is the study of financial decision-making throughout the life cycle of individuals, families, and organizations. The Bachelor of Science in Financial Planning (BS-FINP), offered through the Department of Agricultural Economics, prepares students to develop comprehensive, tailored financial strategies for clients. Students study a variety of topics such as savings and investments, income tax planning, retirement income planning, debt management, estate planning, risk management, and client communication.
Financial planning is ranked among the fastest-growing careers in the nation. Graduates of this program are qualified for careers in financial planning, financial counseling, financial literacy education, financial technology, mutual fund companies, consumer banking, accounting, consulting, government agencies, and other related fields. This degree will also prepare students for advanced graduate studies in accounting, psychology, finance, law, and agribusiness.
The Bachelor of Science in Financial Planning degree program is registered with the Certified Financial Planning Board of Standards (CFP Board). All coursework meets the Certified Financial Planner™ education requirement. Upon completing the program, students are eligible to take the CFP® Certification Examination.
Students in this program will acquire marketable skills, including:
- In-depth knowledge of financial systems at the macro and microeconomic level
- Financial counseling and the ability to provide fundamental financial advice
- Client communication and in-depth understanding of the financial language used across multiple industries
- Identification of social and ethical issues related to household finances
- Data Analysis and Modeling of consumer choice
- Computer-based forecasting using household financial modeling
- Comprehensive knowledge of all areas (retirement, taxation, estate, investments, education, risk management, and ethics) of financial planning
Financial planning students will have access to:
- A case-based and experiential curriculum that will empower learners to engage and understand the impact of finances and financial decision-making across the lifecycle
- Structured mentorship and high-impact learning opportunities provided via existing relationships with local private and public organizations
- Opportunities to provide presentations to the local community and student body regarding financial planning and financial literacy
- National financial planning organizations and career placement