Registration and Academic Status

Registration for the fall and spring semesters is accomplished at several times. During the fall and spring semesters (in November and April), a preregistration period is held for currently enrolled and readmitted students to register for the next semester. There are periods of announced open registration for students who were unable to preregister during the scheduled preregistration period. New Student Conferences serve as an opportunity for new undergraduate students to register. Further information concerning registration may be obtained from the academic calendar published in this catalog or from the Office of the Registrar. The schedule of classes is available online.

Full-Time Student

A full-time undergraduate student is defined as one who is registered for 12 semester hours during a fall or spring semester or 8 hours in a summer semester. Full-time enrollment for federal financial aid is always defined as 12 semester hours, including the summer term. A Q grade or W grade does not count toward the certification of enrollment status. Only hours for which a student is currently enrolled at Texas A&M University can be used toward certification of enrollment.*

* - Students participating in the Blinn TEAM program or the TAMU Engineering Academy at Blinn Bryan program may have unique enrollment certification specifications based on the program agreements. Enrollment status for students in these programs is reported to the National Student Clearinghouse by Texas A&M University and includes enrolled hours from both institutions. Students can obtain enrollment verification which will reflect this enrollment status from the National Student Clearinghouse through Howdy. Students alternatively requesting enrollment verification directly from the Texas A&M University Registrar’s Office on TAMU letterhead are provided enrollment verification of Texas A&M University enrolled hours ONLY. Students may also consider obtaining a verification of their enrollment from Blinn College that will reflect their Blinn enrollment.

Undergraduates Registering for Graduate Courses

A senior undergraduate student with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 or approval of their academic dean, is eligible to enroll in a graduate course and reserve it for graduate credit by filing a petition obtained from the student’s undergraduate college and approved by the course instructor, the student’s major department head, the dean of the college offering the course, and the dean of the student’s undergraduate college.

An academically superior undergraduate student with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.25 or approval of their academic dean, is eligible to apply graduate credit hours toward their undergraduate degree program by filing a petition obtained from the student’s undergraduate college and approved by the course instructor, the student’s major department head, the dean of the college offering the course, and the dean of the student’s undergraduate college. Graduate credit hours used to meet the requirements for a baccalaureate degree may not be used to meet the requirements for a graduate degree.

VA Benefits

Students who are military veterans should note that to receive full VA benefits they must be registered for enough hours to be considered full-time for their degree during each term they are seeking benefits. This number may differ between degrees and during the summer semester. For hour requirements, please visit Veterans Services.

Maximum Schedule

An undergraduate student with an overall grade point average of 3.0 or better may register for a course load in excess of 19 hours in a fall or spring semester with the approval of their advisor. An undergraduate student with an overall grade point average of less than 3.0 must obtain approval from their dean before registering for a course load in excess of 19 hours in a fall or spring semester.


Each student has a classification which indicates the type of degree program in which the student is enrolled, and reflects the student’s progress within that program. The classifications are:

Code Classification Definition
U0 Undergraduate Non-degree
Students with a high school diploma (with the exception of high school concurrent enrollment participants) who do not intend to pursue a baccalaureate degree at Texas A&M University. This includes:
a. Summer session only students.
b. Local residents or university employees taking courses on a part-time basis.
c. Others as may be deemed appropriate by the Office of Admissions and the school, college or program of admission.
Undergraduate non-degree students are not permitted to enroll in courses until all degree seeking students have had the opportunity to enroll. Undergraduate non-degree enrollment begins on the first day of open registration. Enrollment may be limited by college or program policies. Admitted students are not eligible for refund of the admission processing fee regardless of course availability.
An undergraduate non-degree student must maintain a 2.0 GPA on all coursework attempted to remain eligible to register. Enrollment is subject to review at the end of each semester of enrollment. Enrollment beyond two years of attendance will be approved only in exceptional cases.
Should an undergraduate non-degree student desire admission to a degree program, regular formal application is necessary, including: a complete application for admission, the required application processing fee, the submission of all required credentials, and the meeting of all admission requirements.
An undergraduate non-degree student may not take graduate-level coursework.
Undergraduate non-degree students are subject to TSI and English proficiency requirements.
An undergraduate non-degree student does not qualify for financial aid through the University.
With few exceptions, undergraduate non-degree status is not available to international students.
U1 Freshman 0-29 hours
U2 Sophomore 30-59 hours
U3 Junior 60-89 hours
U4 Senior 90+ hours
U5 Postbaccalaureate Undergraduate
Students with a recognized baccalaureate degree who wish to complete requirements for a second baccalaureate degree at Texas A&M University or to complete established Texas A&M University certification requirements.
The postbaccalaureate undergraduate classification (U5) has all the privileges and responsibilities of a senior classification (U4).
Recipients of a Texas A&M University baccalaureate degree are not eligible for continued enrollment unless they have the specific approval of the school or college offering the second bachelor’s degree or certification. Should they break enrollment, they must apply for readmission as second bachelor’s degree candidates.
A candidate for a second baccalaureate degree must complete all the essential work of the second degree not covered in the first. In all such cases, the total semester hours required must be at least 30 semester hours additional to the greater number required for either degree (see Two Degrees in the Degree Information section). To pursue a second baccalaureate degree concurrently with the pursuit of the initial degree, all essential work required for a second degree must be defined in advance in writing by the dean of the school or college granting the second degree. To pursue a second baccalaureate degree sequentially requires admission to a second bachelor’s degree classification. Pursuit of a second baccalaureate degree may be limited or may not be allowed by some schools or colleges.

Academic Status

Distinguished Student and Dean’s Honor Roll

An undergraduate student who completes a semester schedule of at least 15 graded hours or a summer term schedule of at least 12 graded hours with no grade lower than C and with a grade point average of not less than 3.5 for the semester or for a summer term shall be designated “distinguished student.” A student who, under the same circumstances, achieves a grade point average of at least 3.75 shall also be designated as a member of the “dean’s honor roll.” First-semester freshmen must complete a semester schedule of at least 15 hours with no grade lower than a C, no Q-drops, and with a grade point average of not less than 3.5 for “distinguished student” designation and a 3.75 for “dean’s honor roll.” Official notification of these designations will be issued to the student by the dean of the student’s college. The hours earned with a grade of S shall not be included in determining minimum hours required for the designation of “distinguished student” or “dean’s honor roll.” A grade of I or U disqualifies a student from being considered as a “distinguished student” or for the “dean’s honor roll.” Grades of Q, W, and NG may not be included in the 15 graded hours. Only undergraduate courses or graduate courses used for the undergraduate degree will be used in either calculation.

Scholastic Probation

Scholastic probation is conditional permission for an undergraduate student to continue in the University after he or she has become scholastically deficient. For university policy regarding scholastic deficiency and scholastic probation, see the Texas A&M University Student Rules.

Withdrawal from the University

An official withdrawal from the university will result when a student drops all in progress and courses not yet started in a particular term. A student who withdraws from the university before the completion of a semester or summer term is required to comply with the official withdrawal procedure. This process is initiated by submitting a request through the Student Withdrawal link on the My Dashboard tab in the Howdy portal. Students may not withdraw after the Q-drop deadline. The student’s dean will retain the authority to support a student withdrawal after the deadline.

If a student is enrolled in one or more inter/intra-session ("minimesters") or summer sessions and chooses to withdraw, all current and future in-progress courses for the entire semester will be dropped. The student will be ineligible to register for courses for the remainder of that semester.

For university policy regarding withdrawal, see the Texas A&M University Student Rules.

Official University Communications

Texas A&M may use email for official communications. It is each student’s responsibility to claim their Texas A&M University email account and to check that account on a frequent and consistent basis.

Correct Addresses

It is necessary to have a correct residence address on file with the University. Students may change their address in Howdy. International students must have a correct physical and permanent address.