College of Architecture

Administrative Officers

Interim Dean - Patrick C. Suermann, PhD

Executive Associate Dean - Chanam Lee, PhD

Associate Dean for Academic Affairs - Shelley D. Holliday, ME

Associate Dean for International Programs and Facilities - Leslie Feigenbaum, MS

Assistant Dean for Graduate Programs - Katherine R. Reed, PhD

Assistant Dean of Community Wellness and Engagement - Deidra D. Davis, PhD

Assistant Dean for Finance and Administration - Chris Novosad, MBA

General Statement

The College of Architecture offers undergraduate and graduate professional programs to prepare individuals to enter the professions of architecture, landscape architecture, construction management, and urban and regional planning. The planning, design and construction of the world’s buildings, cities and landscapes involve a variety of professional skills. The faculty of architects, urban planners, landscape architects, engineers, computer scientists, constructors, lawyers, historians and artists, in collaboration with educators in the language, philosophy and culture and natural and social sciences, help students develop an understanding of the physical, social, economic and political forces that shape our environment.

Undergraduate degree programs are offered in architecture, landscape architecture, construction science, and urban and regional planning. Minors in art and architectural history; global art, design and construction; architectural fabrication and product design; architectural heritage conservation and sustainable architecture and planning are offered through the Department of Architecture. A minor in urban and regional planning is offered through the Department of Landscape Architecture and Urban Planning. Minors in facility management; and leadership in the design and construction professions are offered through the Department of Construction Science. Master’s degree programs are offered in architecture, landscape architecture, urban planning, land and property development and construction management. Doctor of Philosophy degrees are offered in architecture, construction science and urban and regional sciences.

Personal Computers

Because of the important role of computing in the disciplines housed within the College of Architecture, all entering students are required to possess a portable, network-ready personal computer capable of running software appropriate to their academic program. Financial aid is available to assist students in their computer purchases. No student will be denied admission to Texas A&M University based on an inability to purchase a computer. Additional information is available on the College of Architecture website.

Enrollment Management Policy

Students in the College of Architecture admitted into Architecture (ARCL) and Construction Science (COSL) enter with a lower level classification. Landscape Architecture (LAND) and Urban and Regional Planning (URPN) do not have a lower level classification. All students must comply with the guidelines in terms of coursework and process to be considered for upper level. Until students are accepted into upper level they will be prohibited from taking 300 and 400 level courses in their major.

Admission will be effective upon successful completion of in-progress courses. If all requirements are not met prior to the start of the following semester, admission will not be granted and registration in all upper level coursework in the College of Architecture will be cancelled. Admission is not guaranteed. If there are more qualified applicants than there is space available, preference will be given to students based on their academic achievement.

Transfer Students

Transfer students, who meet the University entrance requirements and who desire to enter a major field of study in the College of Architecture, will be admitted based on available space and current College of Architecture entrance criteria. This is a competitive review process. Transfer students may be admitted into the college with a lower-level classification and may apply for upper-level status after at least one semester at Texas A&M University. A minimum of a 2.5 GPA may be required to matriculate into an upper-level classification

Transfer students accepted into the Bachelor of Science in Architecture degree program must submit a portfolio to the Department of Architecture to receive credit for drawing and design studio classes taken at another university or college, unless the course is listed as an equivalent under the Texas common course numbering system. The review of the portfolio will ensure appropriate studio placement. Additional information may be found on the Department of Architecture website.

Change of Major

Students currently enrolled in another major at Texas A&M University with fewer than 60 hours who desire to change their major field of study into the College of Architecture must fill out a Change of Curriculum application. For more information on deadlines and requirements, please refer to:

Not all majors have summer applications 

The College of Architecture will admit the best-qualified applicants based on the number of spaces available in their program of choice. Acceptance is limited and meeting the requirements alone will not guarantee acceptance.

Semester Away

The College of Architecture requires all upper-level undergraduate students to spend one semester studying abroad, at another university, or in a professional internship. Specific information on these programs is available through each department or the Texas A&M Education Abroad Office.

Academic Policies

For Architecture, Construction Science, Landscape Architecture and Urban Planning: Students must make a grade of C or better in every College of Architecture course (ARCH, CARC, COSC, ENDS, LAND, LDEV, URPN) used to satisfy degree requirements. Students must also make a grade of C or better in any course used as an equivalent substitution for College of Architecture courses that satisfy degree requirements.  All majors within the college require students to maintain a 2.0 or better GPA (for upper level consideration, may be a higher GPA requirement); the college does not offer academic probation.